THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Off Grid Dreams

*Not high*

My husband and I are talking/thinking/dreaming of moving off grid. If you've seen Off the Grid; Life on the Mesa you probably think we're hippies or that we're afraid of or against the government, but you would be wrong. (I mean, if we're hippies - at least we're modern hippies!)

We just love the idea of building and living in a self sustaining home. Someone pointed out that we, as a society, work harder and have less than we ever have before. I couldn't agree more. We pay $850 each month to live in a 3/2 tudor in an okay neighborhood. We've barely used the heater or AC for the last few months and haven't had an electric bill less than $400. Water isn't too bad, I can't complain. But we can't even afford to fully furnish the house, because our income is already spoken for. Bills are killing us!

So now we're seriously wanting to go off the grid. The cabin on the right was built by LaMar Alexander. It is 14x14 with a loft upstairs and it cost him less than $2000 to build. I for one, am impressed! I want more space and more comfort, but this is inspiring. I think we can buy some land and build a bigger nicer version of this cabin for around $10,000. And the best part is that once we're in a self-sustaining house our money is our money.

I cannot wait for that freedom...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait! There are so many reasons for us to do this, and hopefully we can convince people that we're not weirdo's, hippies, paranoid, etc. It's going to be AWESOME!!!

Save a Tree.